Welcome to the Industrial Relations Council for the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry website. The Industrial Relations Council for the Plumbing and Pipefitting Industry was founded in the early 1950’s. The purpose of the Council is to provide an approved and orderly process to avoid strikes/lockouts and settle grievances.
The Council was founded and supported by three sponsors. The sponsors are the United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry of the United States and Canada, the Union Affiliated Contractor-Plumbing, Heating and Cooling Contractors - National Association, and the Mechanical Contractors Association of America.
These organizations are committed to providing, as necessary, a vehicle for their respective members to petition the Council for assistance in settling Collective Bargaining Agreements and/or settling local grievances as submitted to the Council. Usually the Council’s mandate is to provide “second tier” collective bargaining to submitting United Association Local Unions and their local Contractors/Contractors Association.
The Council is comprised of a standing Committee of 8 members who are appointed by their respective organizations. Four members (Union) are appointed by the United Association of the Plumbers and Pipe Fitting Industry of the United States and Canada. Two members (Employers) are appointed by the Union Affiliated Contractors – Plumbing Heating and Cooling Contractors – National Association. Two members (Employers) are appointed by the Mechanical Contractors Association of America.
Currently the members of the Council included the following:
- Business Manager Kevin Morrissey, United Association Local Union 597, Chicago, IL
- Business Manager Jim Killeen, United Association Local Union 5, Washington, DC
- Business Manager Bill Taylor, United Association Local Union 442, Modesto, CA
- Business Manager Mike Knisley, United Association Local Union 776, Lima, OH
- William Boyle, Contractor, Las Vegas, NV
- Thomas Gent, Contractor, Glen Carbon, IL
- James Murphy, Contractor, St. Louis, MO
- Robert FitzGerald, Contractor, Shreveport, LA
The Council employs a Secretary, who serves as the Administrator of the Council. It is the duty of the Secretary to keep the records of the Council and assist the parties with their submission to the Council.
Currently the Secretary of the Council is:
P.O. Box 159
Benicia, CA 94510
Express Mail/Physical Address:
189 East H Street
Benicia, CA 94510
Please contact Mr. Strawbridge with any questions concerning the Council, including possible submissions.
Why would United Association Local Unions and their signatory contractors/Association utilize the services of the Council?
- First, there is no charge to utilize the services of the Council, whether your submission be a continuation of negotiations or local grievance. The only cost to the parties is to attend the Hearings. The Council meets as necessary. It does not have a set meeting schedule. As submissions are received, the Council sets its meeting schedule per receipt of those submissions. The Council makes every effort to meet in cost effective and centrally located meeting venues. This is sometimes difficult if the Council has received multiple submissions from different parts of the country.
- The Council offers first hand knowledge of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry. By having Business Managers and Signatory Contractors on the Council, you are assured of representation of people who have“first hand” knowledge of the Industry. This may not be the case with other Arbitration services offered by other organizations.
- Submissions to the Council avoid local politics by either the Union or the Employer that will hinder the Collective Bargaining process.
Over the past 65 years, the Council has settled over 435 contracts and/or grievances. The council stands ready to serve the Industry.
Please continue to review our website as to the rules of the Council and the actual submission process.